Friday, May 7, 2010

Excuse me... I have something to say.

I was driving home from my family's house with my babies today. One of the roads we were on merges from 3 lanes down to one in less than a mile. As I merged, I watched 2 cars ahead of me try to speed up so they could get ahead or not let the other in. The car trying to merge ended up cutting the 2nd car off. Then the 2nd car switched in to the other lane & blasted by the 1st car, but not before laying on his horn & throwing a finger in the air...... Nice.

I witnessed an altercation in the parking lot of Wal-Mart last week very much similar to this... There must have been a little road rage going on prior to this but while I was loading my groceries, I heard a lady start yelling. And using some very colorful language, might I add. When I looked to see what was going on (Yes, I am one of THOSE people. But, in my defense, if I had to get loud like this lady, I would hope there'd be more of "THOSE" people too!:o)), this woman was being blocked off by a man who was getting in her face. I have to say I might not have used some of the words she chose, but I would've been getting loud too because she had kids with her & this guy, that she didn't even know, was trying to intimidate her/threaten her... She finally threatend to call the cops if he didn't get away from her (little did she know, I was already getting my phone ready!) & he backed off. But it was scary...

Anyway, I've seen lots of stuff like this lately. And I've been feeling this tense/irritating/angry/just plain bad feeling a lot, too. I don't like it. And I just wanna know why do we have to be so angry? Over stupid things! "Bird Man"- Did you get that much further ahead after you sped by the person who cut you off? & would it have been that much of a hassle to just tap your brakes & let them in in the first place??? Or "D.B. from the parking lot"- Did it make you feel like a man to intimidate a woman? Or did it fix anything that had happened prior to that????? NO.

My area of tension... Politics. (If you know me, you should know my thoughts on this. And if you know we don't see eye-to-eye on things, then feel free to skip to the end.) It started last year with the elections, the Prop 8 or 102 or whatever it was... I wrote a blog saying something to the effect of being tired for having to defend what I believe or feel like they can say whatever they want, how they want, but I have to walk on egg shells & choose carefully the words I choose incase it's not P.C... Well feeling very much the same about the SB 1070. I don't think I am obnoxious about letting people know where I stand with things but I do let them know, as I have with my support of this bill. I am tired of some of the things being said about supporters of this in general & have been steadily getting upset about it the last few days or so. And since this is my blog, I am going to take the opportunity to stand up for myself for a second, get it off my chest & hope that by getting it out there, I will allow myself to let go of the irritation & tension I have been feeling.

First of all, I think it's disgusting, shameful, & insulting that this has been compared to The Holocaust & that Gov. Brewer is like Hitler!!! Not even close! I don't see anyone rounding up all the illegals like cattle, torturing them, or committing a genocide against them... And I am NOT racist. Anyone who knows me and/or my family knows that I am a "vanilla amongst the chocolates and the twists" as my Mom calls us. Infact, I'm pretty sure there's a couple of them that could be asked to show proof of their citizenship if they ever get pulled over. Not to mention, some of my favorite people that I've known throughout my life are of Mexican decent or ARE Mexican! This isn't even about race... it's about ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION. For anyone who is confused, this would pertain to ANY foreigner who has enteredor resides in this country unlawfully or without authorization.

Does this mean I am against immigration, period? ABSOLUTELY NOT! Duh. Not when it's done the right way- the lawful & legal way. My own children are the most recent decendents from Great-Grandparents who immigrated to this great country from Puerto Rico, then Czechslovakia, & New Zealand! And they did come the right way, as did the countless generations of immigrants that came to this country. I realize too that it's not as easy as filling out a few forms and calling it good so I am all for figuring out a better way to become a citizen. But until then, you do what you gotta do because, well... it's the law. So if you want to be here, act like it! Quit your whining & throwing out the race card, become legal & contribute to this great country! And I will welcome you with open arms.

I realize that everyone has an opinion, and that is mine. I hate feeling like sharing these kinds of things are going to be so offensive to those I know who don't agree with me. I've had the feeling lately that because I have joined a couple of groups on Facebook showing my support for this bill or for the other political issues I mentioned earlier, it's affected mine & my family's friendships with some people, which is a true shame. If I don't agree with you, that doesn't mean I am going to think differently of you, call you names or take it personally, for that matter. And that's all I ask in return...

*BIG DEEP BREATH*

That said, going back to the title of this blog, what it is I really have to say is: Everyone just needs to CHILL OUT!!! Myself included. And I will!:o) I'm telling you, I am feeling a heck of a lot better already... Seriously though. This world would just be such a better place!

In closing, here are a couple scriptures that I think would solve a WHOLE lotta problems.

Romans 12:10 (KJV)-
"Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another."

1 John 4:7, 11-12 (KJV)-
"Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God."

Mosiah 23:15-
"Thus did Alma teach his people, that every man should love his neighbor as himself, that there be no contention among them."

2 comments:

Brittany Calkins said...

Holy Moly Lonna I couldn't have said it better myself!!!!!

Ugh I'm so sick of supporters being made out to look like RACISTS!

My favorite boss EVER is on her 5th year of working on becoming a U.S. citizen from South Africa, but she came over here the legal way and yes it takes a long time to become a citizen when you come over here legally!

Its a matter of the law, its illegal, its never been legal. Someone else posted today a list of things that happens to people who cross into other nations illegally, like go to prison for a decade, get killed, etc.

I understand we are a more civilized nation but when people come here illegally, they get free health care, welfare, etc. Its really sad to hear of crimes committed by illegals, the countless uninsured drivers on the road that cause insurance rates to be so high here in AZ.

My all time personal favorite (for myself personally). I have looked into jobs at the health department and WIC in Utah and in AZ... There are jobs that REQUIRE me to know spanish!? I cannot get a job I WANT as a citizen because I don't know spanish! I'm bitter about that one still. Maybe I wouldn't be so mad if they didn't require me to know spanish. OK if that offends people, sorry.

Lonna you can delete my long tangent but I just wanted to say it.

Austin and Whitney Cooley said...

Amen is all I've gotta say... Love ya!